Welcome to Francesco Monticone’s Homepage
I’m a Ph.D. Student in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin in Austin, TX, USA. I received my B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees in Electronics Engineering from Politecnico di Torino (Italy) in 2009 and 2011, respectively.
Since August, 2011, I’m working as a Graduate Research Assistant in the Metamaterials and Plasmonics Research Group of Dr. Andrea Alù. My research is mainly focused on electromagnetic metamaterials and plasmonics, with applications ranging from microwaves to optical frequencies and with high scientific and industrial impact.
My goal is to be part of the scientific and technological community, not only as a spectator, but as a player. My experience in three different continents has given me the opportunity to come in touch with stimulating, world-class research environments, with leading researchers and professionals from all over the globe.
Wherever I work, I always bring with me a robust background in engineering and physics, a zest for challenges, a strong self-motivation and an enthusiastic desire to learn all I can.
If you are interested in my research and publications or need consulting in the fields of applied electromagnetics, nanooptics, nanophotonics, metamaterials and plasmonics, please feel free to contact me.
- April 4, 2014: Our conference paper F. Monticone, V. Galdi, N. Engheta, and A. Alù, “‘Computing Metasurfaces’ to Perform Mathematical Operations”, to be presented at the 2014 IEEE AP-S International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, has been selected for an Honorable Mention.
- March 27, 2014: Our invited review paper F. Monticone, and A. Alù, “Metamaterials and Plasmonics: From Nanoparticles to Nanoantenna Arrays, Metasurfaces and Metamaterials,” has been published in Chinese Physics B, Vol. 23, No. 4, 047809. It is currently the most downloaded paper of the journal issue, with more than 400 downloads in few days. It is already in the list of the most downloaded papers published in the last one year.
- March 1, 2014: Read this article on The Alcalde about my advisor, Dr. Andrea Alù, and our research on invisibility cloaks and metamaterials that perform mathematical operations.
- January 10, 2014: Our paper on computational metamaterials has been published in Science, accompanied by a nice Perspective by Ari Sihvola and several news highlights (Phys.org, Nanowerk, AzoNano, Laser Focus World, Tech Times, La Repubblica, New Scientist, Live Science, ANSA, Penn Current, UT News, among others)!
- November 26, 2013: Our review paper on metamaterial-enhanced nanophotonics has been selected and published in the Special Issue of Optics and Photonics News, “Optics in 2013″. This special issue highlights the most exciting peer-reviewed optics research to have emerged over the past 12 months.
- November 19, 2013: Our recent PRX paper on cloaking bounds is also covered by Gizmag, National Journal, Mashable, The Horn, Bio News Texas and Time Magazine.
- November 12, 2013: Our paper about performing mathematical operations with metamaterials has been accepted for publication in Science! More news to come.
- November 7, 2013: BBC, NBC News, Physics World and Live Science feature our work on global cloaking bounds recently published in Physical Review X.
- November 7, 2013: Francesco’s IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Doctoral Research Award has been featured in the UT ECE News.
- October 29, 2013: Francesco Monticone has received an IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Doctoral Research Award. The annual award is only given to a few students worldwide and is based on their current research achievements and potential to become future leaders in the electromagnetics research community. The award will be announced in IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine.
- October 21, 2013: Our invited paper F. Monticone, and A. Alù, “Do Cloaked Objects Really Scatter Less?,” has been published in Physical Review X, Special Issue on Metamaterials, Vol. 3, No. 4, 041005 (10 pages).
- October 1, 2013: Our paper C. Argyropoulos, F. Monticone, G. D’Aguanno, and A. Alù, “Plasmonic Nanoparticles and Metasurfaces to Realize Fano Spectra at Ultraviolet Wavelengths,” has been published in Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 103, No. 14, 143113 (4 pages).
- September 30, 2013: Francesco’s Best Student Paper Award at the Metamaterials 2013 conference has been featured in the UT ECE News.
- September 19, 2013: F. Monticone has won the 1st prize at the Metamaterials 2013 Student Paper Competition with the paper F. Monticone, and A. Alù, “On the Physical Bounds of Cloaking and Invisibility” !
- September 6, 2013: F. Monticone has won an Incubic/Milton Chang Travel Award from Optical Society of America (OSA).
- June 26, 2013: F. Monticone has been selected as a finalist of the student paper competition at the 7th International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics – Metamaterials 2013, in Bordeaux, France, September 16-21, 2013, with the paper F. Monticone, and A. Alù, “On the Physical Bounds of Cloaking and Invisibility”.
- June 17, 2013: Our invited paper C. Argyropoulos, N. Mohammadi Estakhri, F. Monticone, and A. Alù, “Negative Refraction, Gain and Nonlinear Effects in Hyperbolic Metamaterials,” has been published in Optics Express, Focus Issue on Hyperbolic Metamaterials: Fundamentals and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, pp. 15037-15047.
- June 5, 2013: F. Monticone has been elected Full Member of the scientific honor society Sigma Xi.
- May 30, 2013: Phys.org features our work on meta-transmitarrays recently published in Physical Review Letters.
- May 2013: Visit the new section Press Interest, with a selected list of recent press releases and highlights on our work.
- May 2013: Read the Physics Viewpoint “Wave-Shaping Structures” by my advisor Dr. Andrea Alù about novel solutions to control wave transmission with ideal efficiency at microwave and optical frequencies.
- May 14, 2013: Our paper F. Monticone, N. Mohammadi Estakhri, and A. Alù, “Full Control of Nanoscale Optical Transmission with a Composite Metascreen,” has been published in Physical Review Letters, Vol. 110, No. 20, 203903 (5 pages). The paper has been selected as PRL Editor’s suggestion!
- March 18, 2013: Our conference paper F. Monticone, Xiaoqin Li, and A. Alù, “Strong Optical Magnetism and Fano Resonances in Asymmetric Plasmonic Metamolecules”, submitted to the Student Paper Competition of the 2013 IEEE AP-S International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation to be held in Orlando, Florida has been selected for an Honorable Mention!
- March 12, 2013: Our paper F. Monticone, C. Argyropoulos, and A. Alù, “Multi-Layered Plasmonic Covers for Comblike Scattering Response and Optical Tagging,” has been published in Physical Review Letters, Vol. 110, No. 11, 113901 (5 pages). The paper has been selected as PRL Editor’s suggestion!
- February 19, 2013: Watch my advisor Dr. Andrea Alù talking about metamaterials and invisibility in this intriguing TEDx Talk! Coverage from the UT Cockrell School of Engineering and the script are here.
- February 6, 2013: Our paper F. Monticone, C. Argyropoulos, and A. Alù, “Multi-Layered Plasmonic Covers for Comb-Like Scattering Response and Optical Tagging,” has been accepted for publication in Physical Review Letters. This paper has been selected as Editor’s suggestion!
- January 29, 2013: A News and Views article from Peter Nordlander highlighting our recent Nature Nanotechnology paper on magnetic-based Fano resonant nanocluster has appeared in the same issue!
- January 27, 2013: Our paper F. Shafiei*, F. Monticone*, K. Q. Le, X. X. Liu, T. Hartsfield, A. Alù, and X. Li, “A Subwavelength Plasmonic Metamolecule Exhibiting Magnetic-Based Optical Fano Resonance,” has been published in Nature Nanotechnology ! * These authors contributed equally to this work.
- December 2012: F. Monticone has won a USNC-URSI Travel Fellowship Grant Award, “For technical merit”, to support the participation to the 2013 USNC-URSI National Radio Science Meeting in Boulder, CO, USA.
- December 3, 2012: the invited paper F. Monticone, C. Argyropoulos, and A. Alù, “Layered Plasmonic Cloaks to Tailor the Optical Scattering at the Nanoscale,” has been published in Scientific Reports, Special Issue for E-MRS 2012, Vol. 2, No. 912.
- November 26, 2012: the paper F. Monticone*, F. Shafiei*, K. Q. Le, X. X. Liu, T. Hartsfield, A. Alù, and X. Li, “A Subwavelength Plasmonic Metamolecule Exhibiting Magnetic-Based Optical Fano Resonance,” has been accepted for publication in Nature Nanotechnology.